Saturday 13 July 2019

Eldar Phantom Titan: A Bit Of Legwork

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone!

I thought it was a good idea to update on progress on the Phantom Titan. In the last post, I was talking about putting the base elements together. Now it was time to start work on the Titan itself...

Having got the main elements of the base in place, I was now able to start positioning the legs and feet. I knew that the right foot would be resting on the broken cannon arm and the angle of that cannon presented some difficulties. It would take a lot of fiddling, and a great deal of swearing and quite a lot of Blu-Tak to get the positioning right. The trouble is, there are so many parts in the feet and legs, an I couldn't risk gluing them until I was certain of the positioning,* hence the copious amounts of Blu-Tak. After quite a bit of adjustment, I managed to get the feet into a position where I could glue them together and a couple of pins** were inserted into the bottom of the feet, with corresponding holes drilled in the base, although the feet weren't glued to the base.



When it came to assembling the legs, pins were put through the hips into the groin section and through each side of the knee joints. The knees were also strengthened with pins from the knees into the upper and lower legs. Multiple pins were used to attach the legs to the foot assemblies. You can see, in the photographs, where the holes for the pins were filled with green stuff.



Finally, all was assembled and the whole thing was made secure. I then filled in the base with some ground-shaping using Das modelling clay, with some stones mixed in to give some texture.


The entire leg assembly is not fixed in place yet, for ease of painting later, and to make it easy to transport the finished model.


So, next job would be to put together the body sections. That'll be in the next instalment...
Thanks for reading!
-Stu

*I'd already made the mistake of gluing a couple of bits together, thinking that I could just pull them apart and reposition them. It turned out that the superglue I was using was remarkably effective, remarkably quickly...
**When I say pins, I actually used rivets, with the heads cut off. Strong, easy to clip to size, and easy to get hold of from your local hardware store...

No comments:

Post a Comment