Monday 3 June 2019

The Road To Golden Demon 2020

As you will know, if you saw my post about this year's Warhammer Fest, my entry to Golden Demon 2019 was not very successful. I spoke about some of the factors that I believe, lead to my less than stellar performance. One of these was lack of time management on my part. Leaving it until I'd started on my entry for The Masters, I then faffed about on other entries, and thus ended up with a below par Masters figure, and the other entries unfinished. That will not happen this year. This year I will have my other entries ready by the time the Masters figure is announced next year, and so I will be able to devote all my time to it. In order to do this, I'm starting my other entries now. I already have an idea for the Age of Sigmar Single Figure, and I've begun work already on converting the models for the AoS Duel. I also have a diorama, that was begun two years ago (it was supposed to be my entry into the 2017 Winners Competition, but real life stepped in and made sure that wasn't going to happen...) It's a complicated piece (for me) and I'm not sure I'll get it done in a year, so that's going to be of lower priority. I've also got an idea for a 40k Squad.
Working on these through the course of the year will serve another purpose, too...
Practice.
See, I do a lot of painting during the year, mostly commissions and the occasional bit for myself. None of this work is done to a competition standard so, the only time I paint anything to Golden Demon standard is for the Golden Demons themselves. That's like a jogger who does a couple of times around the block every day suddenly deciding, a month before the Olympics, that he's going to compete in the marathon. It's a whole different kettle of mixed metaphors. I need to keep my eye in at a competition level and that means painting more top-tier pieces. Plus, there's other competitions along the way during the year...
The categories for EverChosen have been announced, as has the deadline. July 27th is not that far away so it’s going to be a tough challenge. However, there is one piece to do before then. A standalone competition was organised by Victor Roman over on ‘Eavier Metal, and it’s to paint a model in 30 days. Hence the title, The 30 Day Challenge. The miniature selected (and everybody has to do the same one) is Festus The Leechlord. So, at least if I get this done, I’ll have at least one model to enter for EverChosen…
Also announced, over on ‘Eavier Metal, is this year’s Eadbanger. Now, I’ve never managed to find the time to enter this competition, and it’s gone from strength to strength over the years, becoming one of the most beloved of online competitions and I’d dearly love to have a go at it so, this year, I’m going to give it a shot for sure.
The first step for any competition is to decide which models to enter. The 30 Day Challenge was already decided on, so the next up was a figure for EverChosen.
Even with the maximum 60mm base size there was a lot of scope and I spent quite a while looking through what was available and…frankly, there was too much to choose from. I wanted something that would catch the judges eye, but not be too big, due to the tight time limit. Also, at the moment (as ever) funds are tight do I couldn’t stretch to a £30-£40 model at the moment. So I thought about the Mountain of Unpaintedness and started having a rummage and I found…this. It’s a figure I really like- it’s dynamic, with lots of movement; it’s got a good mix of cloth and armour and it’s got a really expressive face. Lots of scope for a nice paint job. I’m going to mount it on a hero base or maybe even the Dais Arcanum, if I can get hold of one.
Finally, we have ‘Eadbanger (or, to give it’s full title: ‘Eavier Metal Episode V: ‘Eadbanger Stikes Back…)  I'm not sure how many categories I'm going to have the time to enter (I'd like to give one of the larger miniatures categories a shot...) but, in the the Single Figure category, I'm going to enter something I’ve been waiting to paint for a while- a really special miniature that I’ve been saving for a special occasion…
Last November I went up to Nottingham to go to the 40k Vigilus Weekender where my Ork Kommando Boss won me a finalist’s pin. While in Nottingham I caught up with an old friend, the great Kev White, sculptor and driving force behind Hasslefree Miniatures. He gave me a truly wonderful gift- one of the few resin castings he had done of Mariku Yuri, a Van Saar gang leader he made as a personal project.
I’ve been itching to paint it ever since but I wanted to be able to give it the due time to get it right. It needed a special occasion. ‘Eadbanger V is just such an occasion. If I only get one model done for it, it has to be that one and at least I can be sure it won't be painted by loads of other people...!
So, there we have it. Minis chosen and ready to go (at least they will be when Festus gets here). Three competitions to enter is an ambitious task, but I really want to give all three the best shot I can. Watch this space for further updates…

No comments:

Post a Comment