Monday 17 February 2020

REBBL: Painting The Trophies

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone!

For the last couple of years, I've been responsible for painting the trophies for the winners of the Reddit Eternal Blood Bowl League (REBBL). As I've just finished the latest one, I thought it would be the perfect time to have a look back at them. I just have to thank the great Darren Latham for getting me the gig. It's been fun having a go at some very different miniatures over the last few years.

The first one I did was back in 2017 and it was the plastic Troll from Games Workshop. this is a great miniature, posed in mid draw-back, as he prepares to hurl a goblin down the field. It's got loads of little details, like the bones hanging from its belt and the human player's helmet used as a kneepad, but is really difficult to photograph, due to the pose of the figure.


Next up was the Minotaur from Forge World. This is a huge miniature, and is another excellent sculpt. Posed like it's clawing at the ground, ready for charging forwards, it's enough to put the fear of Nuffle into any player foolish enough to get in his way! What makes this sculpt so good is the sheer bulk of it, it's a huge slab of muscle. And I like the fact that it has hooves. To me, minotaurs always look better with hooves.


For the next couple of trophies I was tasked with painting a couple of third-party miniatures, both from Greebo Games, an Italian miniatures company. First up was the Werewolf Star Player, Vinci's Wolf (which appears to be no longer available on their website). This was a metal miniature, so had a fair bit of flash that needed to be dealt with, but it was a nice, clean and well-defined sculpt, in a dynamic pose.



Next up was Greebo's Burning Treeman which came with a couple of little mini-me markers. This is a very unusual sculpt, because, as the name implies, the unfortunate wooden warrior is burning from the inside. This particular feature made it a lot of fun to paint. Again, this is a metal casting so there was a fair bit of mould line and flash to deal with, but nothing that affected the details on the miniature, and it went together really well. There is even the option of different flame effects for the back.



On the basis of these two miniatures, I have no hesitation in recommending Greebo Games. They've got a great range of miniatures with loads of character, at reasonable prices and I'm hoping to have a go at more of their miniatures in the future.

After the two Greebo miniatures, it was back to Forge World with Griff Obervald. There's not a huge amount I can say about this sculpt, really. Like a lot of the new Blood Bowl miniatures, it's a perfectly fine reworking of a classic character and, as it's FW resin, the casting is as crisp as you'd want, with a nice, dynamic pose. It comes with two different heads meaning you can show him with or without his helmet. Unfortunately the helmeted head was requested for this piece, meaning I didn't get to paint those famous handsome features...



Finally, we come up to date with the latest one. This is from Willy Miniatures, from Spain, (Tritex Games stock some of their line) and is called Ramtut, a star player from their Egyptian Undead team. Now, I did have a couple of problems with this miniature. Don't get me wrong, it's a great sculpt- good posing, nice details and it's a big, solid lump that will stand head and shoulders over most players. The problems were with the casting. There was a lot of mould lines to remove, and a couple of lumps of flash meant there was some detail lost. I had to do a little bit of green stuff gap-filling to get all the pieces to go together properly. These are sometimes the issues you get with metal miniatures, unfortunately and please don't let it put you off. there's some really cool miniatures in the range, with a real Middlehammer aesthetic to a lot of them, and I would  be more than happy to try more of their range. Please do check them out.



One more thing, seeing as we're on the subject of Blood Bowl, I thought I'd give a mention to this Vermin Team from Black Scorpion Miniatures I painted a while back. There was a fair amount of clean up to do with these guys (particularly with some blocking behind the hands on the crouching figures) but, being resin, this was easy to do. I recommend checking out the rest of the range, too, as they've made some really nice players. I particularly like the Halfling team. Nice hats.



Please keep an eye on my Facebook page, as I'll try to upload some full galleries of these miniatures soon. Okay, that's all from me today.
Thanks for reading!
-Stu

No comments:

Post a Comment