Monday, 14 November 2016

Review: How To Paint Citadel Miniatures: The Horus Heresy: Burning of Prospero

Morning all!
So, this morning I picked up How To Paint Citadel Miniatures: The Horus Heresy: Burning of Prospero (which is a bit of a mouthful so will, for the rest of this post, be referred to as HBOP) which is the latest of GW's painting supplements and is tied in to the boxed game.
I've never bought one of these books before, as I kinda reckon it's probably not aimed at someone with my experience but, seeing as it's so cheap (£6) and I've just got my hands on a set of Custodians I thought I'd give it a look.

First impressions are excellent. One thing you always know you are going to get with GW is high production values and this doesn't disappoint. The 48-page book is printed on thick, high-quality gloss paper with a matt card cover. and is presented in the style of the Forge World Horus Heresy books. This is a quality product.
Inside you have a couple of pages of introduction and then a couple of pages each for a bit of background to the Space Wolves and Thousand Sons and the part they play in the Prospero conflict. Then it's in to the meat of the painting guides themselves.
The first guide is the longest and focuses 6 pages on a single Legionary, in detail, from start to finish. Although the Space Wolves are used as the example the techniques are explained clearly and in a way that makes them easily applicable to any Legion colour scheme.
Next the Custodian Guard, Sisters of Silence, Geigor Fell-Hand and Ahzek Ahriman are given four pages apiece to focus on particular elements on them.
Finally each of the 18 Legions are given a page each, with basic colour guides for each. there is then a single page given over to favourite paint combinations for the most commonly used areas, such as gold, etc.
I am blown away by this book. Far from not being usable for someone with my experience I think I'm going to be referring to it quite often and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If I have one issue it's the lack of an 'eavy Metal showcase but that is a very minor complaint indeed.
To sum up: a great book for any level of experience at a brilliant price. Pick it up here and, while you're at it, have a look at the rest of GW's painting guides. I know I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment